1840 1929 dating old photograph
George Chalmers (1773‑1836), a plumber in Edinburgh, left the residue of his estate, amounting to around £30,000, to the Dean and Faculty of Advocates for the purpose of founding a ‘New Infirmary or Sick and Hurt Hospital’.
In 1854, once the funds had accumulated to £70,000, Lauriston Housewas purchased with seven and a half acres of land behind it extending down to the meadows.
They constitute a sizeable reference section in themselves.
Last update : 2017-07-26 Please note that books and articles listed here are available for viewing only at the Kirby Hall Library, Norwich and are not viewable online.
At the core of the present hospital site are the three remaining villas, of simple classical style, and a gate lodge with good decorative ironwork. Canaan House became the administration department and various hospital blocks were constructed on the site, mostly by Auldjo Jamieson & Arnott, between 19.Designed as a convalescent home, it developed to provide for patients who required longer care and supervision after illness or surgery and to build up patients’ strength before treatment.It became a leading rehabilitation centre and established a pioneering training school for occupational therapy.The individual columns along the driveway were originally used as gas-lights; the hole through the shafts for the flow of gas can still be seen.